Windmill Temari

The design for this Temari was a puzzle. Having seen one and had discussion through the conversation thread on Temari Challenge on how to do it, I contacted  my Russian Temari friend and asked her if she could help me figure out how to do the design. Language is always a big issue. She sent me 2 partial stage photos and I went at it from there. The first one was indeed a bit of struggle. The following 2 went quite easy as I used the ”faults” in the first to modify the process for the next 2.

What a fun reveal! Any colorway really works like a charm. I used some variegated thread colors in the last 2 and like the effect. Over-all designs such as these are difficult in that what’s showing at the finish isn’t revealed at the start. You are stitching on 2 layers at the same time.  I have the nagging apprehension that all the pointy bits should be aligned and approaching the pocket bits but aren’t. Thread tension and shape of the first rows was where I had the biggest change in technique. The second 2 Temari were much easier in that those changes made the rest of the stitching smoother and the final grooming considerably easier.

I guess the final thing is that I recognize in this design that I’m learning more and have more working knowledge of just how to visualize what needs doing. Now that is a breath of fresh air!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: